Duplex Sequencing™ improves the accuracy of DNA sequencing by >10,000 fold and allows detection of mutations that are invisible by other approaches.
TwinStrand’s name, logo and proprietary technology are inspired by the fundamental structure of DNA – complementary strands in a double helix. By separately sequencing both strands of individual DNA molecules in a way they can be unambiguously distinguished and compared, the Duplex Sequencing™ method allows the ‘noise’ to be subtracted out and delivers previously unprecedented levels of accuracy and sensitivity.
The technology is based on years of research and has potential applications in a wide range of fields, including oncology, infectious disease, organ transplantation, reproductive and genetic health, and forensics. TwinStrand Biosciences, Inc. holds an exclusive worldwide license to develop and commercialize Duplex Sequencing™.
Duplex Sequencing™ has been used in numerous scientific publications:
- Ahn EH, Lee SH, Kim JY, Chang CC, Loeb LA (2016). Decreased mitochondrial mutagenesis during transformation of breast stem cells into tumorigenic cells. Cancer Research. [Epub ahead of print] PMID: 27197159
- Krimmel JD, Schmitt MW, Harrell MI, Agnew KJ, Kennedy SR, Emond MJ, Loeb LA, Swisher EM, Risques RA (2016). Ultra-deep sequencing detects ovarian cancer cells in peritoneal fluid and reveals somatic TP53 mutations in noncancerous tissues. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. [Epub ahead of print]. PMID: 27152024
- Pickrell AM, Huang CH, Kennedy SR, Ordureau A, Sideris DP, Hoekstra JG, Harper JW, Youle RJ (2015). Endogenous Parkin Preserves Dopaminergic Substantia Nigral Neurons following Mitochondrial DNA Mutagenic Stress. Neuron. 87(2):371-81. PMID: 26182419
- Schmitt MW, Fox EJ, Prindle MJ, Reid-Bayliss KS, True LD, Radich JP, Loeb LA (2015). Sequencing small genomic targets with high efficiency and extreme accuracy. Nature Methods. 12(5):423-5. PMID 25849638
- Kennedy SR, Schmitt MW, Fox EJ, Kohrn BF, Salk JJ, Ahn EE, Prindle MJ, Kuong KJ, Shen JC, Risques RA, Loeb LA (2014). Detecting ultralow-frequency mutations by Duplex Sequencing. Nature Protocols. 9(11):2586-606. PMID: 25299156
- Wang Y, Waters J, Leung ML, Unruh A, Roh W, Shi X, Chen K, Scheet P, Vattathil S, Liang H, Multani A, Zhang H, Zhao R, Michor F, Meric-Bernstam F, Navin NE (2014). Clonal evolution in breast cancer revealed by single nucleus genome sequencing. Nature. 512(7513):155-60. PMID: 25079324
- Kennedy SR, Salk JJ, Schmitt MW, Loeb LA (2013). Ultra-sensitive sequencing reveals an age-related increase in somatic mitochondrial mutations that are inconsistent with oxidative damage. PLoS Genetics. 9(9):e1003794. PMID: 24086148
- Schmitt MW, Kennedy SR, Salk JJ, Fox EJ, Hiatt JB, Loeb LA (2012). Detection of ultra-rare mutations by next-generation sequencing. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. 109(36):14508-13. PMID: 22853953