About Schaffer-Nishimura Lab
Our lab is interested in studying the contribution of multiple physiological systems to disease initiation and progression, with applications in neurodegenerative disease, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. We would like to understand how the vascular, immune, inflammatory systems and cells native to a tissue... Show more »
Our lab is interested in studying the contribution of multiple physiological systems to disease initiation and progression, with applications in neurodegenerative disease, cardiovascular disease, and cancer. We would like to understand how the vascular, immune, inflammatory systems and cells native to a tissue interact in these diseases. A major challenge in such work is that model systems such as cell culture or even organotypic tissue culture cannot fully recapitulate all the different cell types involved in disease, so in vivo studies are required. However, it is experimentally difficult to study and manipulate cell-level dynamics in live animals. Recently, we have worked to develop technologies such as improved imaging using multiphoton microscopy that work in whole animals and have sufficient spatial and temporal resolution to quantify cellular dynamics. We also now have tools, femtosecond laser ablation, to produce targeted disruption with cellular-scale precision.
- Ouzounov DG, Wang T, Wang M, Feng D, Horton NG, Cruz Hernández JC, Cheng Y, Reimer J, Tolias A, Nishimura N, Xu C. In vivo three-photon imaging of activity of GCaMP6-labeled neurons deep in intact mouse brain. Nature Methods (2017)
- M. Koyama, F. Minale, J. Shum, N. Nishimura, C. B. Schaffer, and J. R. Fetcho. A circuit motif in the zebrafish hindbrain for a two alternative behavioral choice to turn left or right. eLife (2016)
- G. D. Calvey, A. M. Katz, C. B. Schaffer, and L. Pollack. Mixing injector enables time-resolved crystallography with high hit rate at X-ray free electron lasers. Structural dynamics (2016)
- Rakhilin N, Barth B, Choi J, Munoz N, Kulkarni S, LaVinka C, Dong X, Spencer M, Pasricha P, Nishimura N, Jones J, Small D, Cheng YT, Cao Y, Kan E, Shen X. Simultaneous Optical and Electrical In Vivo Analysis of the Enteric Nervous System. Nat Commun (2016)
- F. J. Meyers, A. Mathur, C. N. Fuhrmann, T. C. O’Brien, I. Wefes, P. A. Labosky, D. S. Duncan, A. August, A. Feig, K. L. Gould, M. J. Friedlaner, C. B. Schaffer, A. Van Wart, R. Chalkley. The origin and implementation of the Broadening Experiences in Scientific Training programs: an NIH common fund initiative. FASEB Journal (2016)
- W.C. Wayne, S. Chandrasekaran, M. J. Mitchell, M. F. Chan, R. E. Lee, C. B. Schaffer, M. R. King. TRAIL-coated leukocytes that prevent the bloodborne metastasis of prostate cancer,” Journal of Controlled Release (2016)
Our Services (7)
Laser Scanning Confocal Microscopy
Multiphoton Fluorescence Microscopy
Imaging & Spectroscopy
Schaffer-Nishimura Lab has not received any reviews.
Schaffer-Nishimura Lab has not received any endorsements.