Led by Associate Professor Zijuan Liu at Oakland University, the Liu Lab explores the biological roles and the mechanisms of action of two important biometals: arsenic and selenium. The aim is to elucidate the molecular bases for these important biometals’ function in two animal models: zebrafish and mouse models. Since membrane transport is the rate-limiting step for cellular availability, the overall cellular function of these biometals is determined by membrane transporters. Currently, the lab is identifying these biometal transporters and studying their transport mechanism. The future goal is to better understand beneficial or adverse effects of arsenic and selenium and to improve strategies for future clinical applications.
- Hamdi M*, Yoshinaga M, Packianathan C, Qin J, Hallauer J*, McDermott JR*, Yang HC, Tsai KJ, Liu Z. Identification of an S-adenosylmethionine (SAM) dependent arsenic methyltransferase in Danio rerio. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol July; 262(2):185-93 (2012)
- Beene LC*, Hallauer J*, Yoshinaga M, Hamdi M*, Liu Z. Pentavalent Arsenate Transport by Zebrafish Phosphate Transporter NaPi-IIb1. Zebrafish, Sep;8(3):125-31. (2011)
McDermott JR*, Jiang X*, Beene LC*, Rosen BP, Liu Z. Pentavalent methylated arsenicals are substrates of human AQP9. Biometals. Feb 23 (1) 119-27 (2010)
- Jiang X*, McDermott, JR*, Ajees, AA, Rosen BP and Liu Z. Trivalent arsenicals and glucose use different translocation pathways in mammalian GLUT1. Metallomics. 2 (3) 211-9. (Cover story) (2010)
- McDermott JR*, Rosen BP, Liu Z. Jen1p: A High Affinity Selenite Transporter in Yeast. Mol Biol Cell. Nov;21(22):3934-41 (2010)
Hamdi M*, Sanchez MA, Beene LC*, Liu Q, Landfear SM, Rosen BP, Liu Z. - Arsenic transport by zebrafish aquaglyceroporins. BMC Mol Biol. Nov 25;10:104 (2009).
- Liu Z, Sanchez MA, Jiang X, Boles E, Landfear SM, Rosen BP. Mammalian glucose permease GLUT1 facilitates transport of arsenic trioxide and methylarsonous acid. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. Dec. 15;351(2):424-30. (2006)
- Liu Z, Styblo, M., Rosen, B. P. Methylarsonous acid transport by aquaglyceroporins. Environ Health Perspect. Apr;114(4):527-31 (2006).
- Liu Z, Boles, E. and Rosen, B.P. Arsenic trioxide accumulation by hexose permeases in Saccharomyces cerevisiae. J. Biol. Chem. 279. 17312-17318 (2004).
- Liu Z, Carbrey J.M, Agre P and Rosen, B.P. Arsenic trioxide uptake by human and rat aquaglyceroporins. Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 316, 1178-1185 (2004).
- Meng Y, Liu Z and Rosen, B.P. As(III) and Sb(III) uptake and efflux in Escherichia coli J. Biol. Chem. 279, 18334-18341 (2004).
- Li P, Uddin A.N., Liu Z, Mukhopadhyay R, Komissarova E.V., Rosen B.P. and Rossman T.G. Variability in sensitivity to arsenite does not correlate with arsenic accumulation rate in normal human lymphoblasts. Mol. Cell. Biochem. 255, 79-85 (2004).
- Liu Z, Shen J, Carbrey J.M., Mukhopadhyay R, Agre P and Rosen, B.P. Arsenite transport by mammalian aquaglyceroporins AQP7 and AQP9. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. 99,6053-6058(2002).