UCD Conway Institute of Biomolecular and Biomedical Research is a multidisciplinary centre for research funded by an initiative of the Irish Higher Education Authority; the Programme for Research in Third Level Institutions (PRTLI). Located on the 300-acre Belfield campus of University College Dublin (UCD), the largest university in Ireland, UCD Conway Institute brings together over 550 research staff from all over the University and its associated teaching hospitals.
Conway_building.jpgFounded in 1999, the Institute received funding from the Higher Education Authority (www.hea.ie) and private donors under all three cycles of the Programme for Research in Third Level Institutions. The total funding committed was €92 million. A large part of the allocated funding was used to construct and equip a new research building, which became operational in September 2003. UCD Conway Institute was named after the first professor of biochemistry & pharmacology in UCD, Professor Edward J. Conway FRS (1894-1968).